[geeks] DVI -> SDI

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 14:57:55 CST 2006

Joshua Boyd wrote:
>> Does anyone know of an inexpensive method for adapting DVI to SDI?
>
> Doremi Labs, Gefen, and Miranda all make such a box.  But the Doremi
> unit is $3500 and I believe the Gefen unit is $2000, and I'd bet that
> the Miranda unit is closer to $5k.

Ouch.

> If you only need SDI instead of HD-SDI (all of the above boxes are
> HD-SDI), a A to D box should be only a minor quality loss while saving a
> lot of money.  For HD, the analog converters seem to be only negligably
> cheaper than the Gefen converter though.

I need HD-SDI, though.

> Perhaps if you would say exactly what you want to do?

A friend of mine gave me an HD-SDI framegrabber.  (Very nice of him.  It
wasn't cheap.)  I wanted to use it to turn a computer into an HD Tivo.
I have a HDMI coming out of my digital satellite box.

> I suppose you could always try to build such a device.  It looks like it
> would be an interested project.

Hmmm.  How hard would it be to find the chips, I wonder?  I'll start
looking for pricing.

Peace...  Sridhar