[geeks] DVI -> SDI

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Mar 7 11:14:53 CST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:28:58AM -0500, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Does anyone know of an inexpensive method for adapting DVI to SDI?

Doremi Labs, Gefen, and Miranda all make such a box.  But the Doremi
unit is $3500 and I believe the Gefen unit is $2000, and I'd bet that
the Miranda unit is closer to $5k.

If you only need SDI instead of HD-SDI (all of the above boxes are
HD-SDI), a A to D box should be only a minor quality loss while saving a
lot of money.  For HD, the analog converters seem to be only negligably
cheaper than the Gefen converter though.

Perhaps if you would say exactly what you want to do?

I suppose you could always try to build such a device.  It looks like it
would be an interested project.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net