[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...`

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sun Mar 5 20:08:15 CST 2006

On Mar 5, 2006, at 11:04, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sat, 04 Mar 2006 @ 01:17 -0600, Micah R Ledbetter said:
>>> I have a 2.0GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM, and it is blindly stupid that
>>> surfing the web and running a couple of office applications can kill
>>> my machine.
>> I'm pretty far off topic here, but Firefox isn't *that* bad (for me).
> I regularly see it run over 200MB.

I'll believe that. Having it kill your machine, though... my first
guess would be that something *else* is wrong, and Firefox is
contributing to it. I'm not speaking authoritativly, though, just
giving my anecdotals.

> I've traced Firefox, and it frequently allocates memory that I
> never see it
> release.
> (...)
> I do too, but Firefox in particular slows down so much I have to
> kill it and
> restart.

I've read that minimizing then restoring FF - at least on Windows -
clears its RAM and can be a workaround for memory leaks. I don't know
if it works under Linux like that, though.

- Micah