[geeks] Ultra-Portable UNIX

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Sun Mar 5 13:39:12 CST 2006

 Mike Meredith says ...
> On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 00:05:58 -0600, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> > What is an HPC, you ask? It stands for Handheld PC, which were
> > invented before the Palm IIRC. They have keyboards smaller
> than full-
>
> By HP and Palm (if you don't take "PC" too rigorously) at least.
>
> > A couple of cool ideas on my mind:
> > - Wardriving. Obviously. Though you could go back to warchalking
> > pretty easily, without having to lug around a painfully monstrous
> > laptop (aww).
>
> Whilst 'warwalking' with my Zaurus, it was always amusing
> seeing people
> trying to do the equivalent with a laptop.

Wardriving, heh.

We live on an island across Puget Sound from Seattle.  Our view encompasses
most of the Seattle waterfront, and includes the channel the big ships use
to get in and out of the harbor.

When we first moved here, we could only get ISDN, so we set up a satellite
dish rig and spent a lot of time scanning the Seattle side of the water
looking for open WiFi connections.  Our idea was to find one we could
identify well enough to set up a formal connection-sharing agreement.

We'd sit up on the deck with the dish on an old TV camers tripod, futzing
with the antenna, a laptop, etc.  We must have been the very picture of
geekitude.

We never did find a suitable partner on the other side of the Sound, but we
did coin a term for what we were doing:  "Warsitting."

-Shel

PS.  Cruise ships have WiFi, but they don't stay in range very long.