[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...`

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Mar 5 10:58:41 CST 2006

Fri, 03 Mar 2006 @ 15:03 -0500, der Mouse said:

> > I really don't see any reason you could not have most of those
> > features in about 1/5 the memory footprint.
>
> And until you've tried to do it, you won't.

Why should I try it, when I can point at browsers which prove my point?

The other day I put Firefox and Konqueror through the same exact
sequence of page loads, mostly debugging some WWW code I wrote.

At the end of 3 hours, Firefox was using 400MB of memory, Konqueror was
just over 100MB.

That's 1/4 the size.

> Mind you, I'm not saying it can't be done.  But I haven't tried to do
> it either, I don't feel anyone who hasn't, and can't point to an
> example where it's done right (FWVO "right"), is competent to criticize
> attempts.

If a program has severe memory leaks, just for example, I don't really need to
write my own program to know the existing one has problems.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]