[geeks] Bluetooth Headset Help

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 11:07:48 CDT 2006

On 6/29/06, James Fogg <James at jdfogg.com> wrote:
> > I've had 2 different headsets so far: the Jabra FS-250, and
> > the Motorola H700.  I liked the Jabra, but it was a bit
> > quiet, and it eventually broke the ear-hanger, in my pocket.
> > The Motorola is cute, but people talking to me complain that
> > it packs up too much background noise, and it has very short
> > range from my cell phone.
>
> Not much help here, but I've noticed that the distance between the
> "mouth" end and the "ear" end helps with background differentiation and
> elimination. Longer distances means better "resolution" between intended
> sound and ambient sound (more time differentiation I guess).

Some BT headsets have DSP for noise reduction now, though, so that's
something to look for.  Plantronics is making BT headsets now, so that
may be something to look at.  While there aren't systematic reviews at
howardforums.com, if you've narrowed it down and want opinions or want
to put out a general broadcast for advice there, you will get
generally intelligent responses.

> > It'd be nice to have a headset that supports Bluetooth 2.0
> > (stereo), so that I could also listen to music on it.  This
> > isn't an absolute requirement, though.

As far as BT 2.0 goes, everything I've read about the stereo headsets
that support this (which have a heck of a lot more room for antenna,
noise reduction circuitry, etc) says that they just don't have good
sound.  As a stop gap, ok, maybe, but I think you'd be better off
tying whatever you have music on into your car stereo.

> OK, maybe I'd look too much the geek on an airplane, but I'm sure anyone
> in a datacenter would understand.

Gargoyle![0] :-)  Or maybe mistaken as a shooting enthusiast or a firefighter.

I put my phone on vibrate, and wear either noiseblocking earphones
(in-ear) or earplugs when I am in the datacenter.  Of course, I'm not
generally in a situation where I have to be on the phone with support
at the computer--I do that through a remote console terminal.  I don't
mind working in the datacenter, but most of the ones I've been in of
late suck, so I try not to (e.g. no reasonable place to set up a
laptop for a serial console, no tools, disorganized, junk everywhere,
serious dust problems--my eyes! *ack*, etc.).

=Nadine=

[0] _Snowcrash_ reference.