[geeks] 53c895

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 20:38:08 CDT 2006

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>
>> Hi.  I have this SCSI board with a 53c895 chipset.  Can I safely
>> assume that I can take the LSI FCode update package for that chipset
>> from LSI Logic and use it to install boot FCode onto my board?
>
> I'm pretty sure the 53C895 doesn't -need- FCode unless you're putting it
> in a Macintosh.  Suns seem to grok Symbios/LSI chips of that vintage
> without any additional prodding.  I've used an '895 card from an RS/6000
> (which I pulled from a PReP box) in a Sun without problems and likewise
> used a card pulled from a PC in a Sun.
>
> I'd only try it if the box doesn't see the card right off.

Hmm.  When I put the card in the machine with a drive and a
properly-terminated cable, I do see a device at /pci at 1f,0/pci at 5/scsi at 0,
but I don't see any disk objects under it, and probe-scsi and
probe-scsi-all don't return anything.

A NetBSD CD booted in the machine's IDE CD-ROM drive can recognize both
the controller and the drive.

Peace...  Sridhar