[geeks] 53c895

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jun 26 15:32:45 CDT 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> Hi.  I have this SCSI board with a 53c895 chipset.  Can I safely
> assume that I can take the LSI FCode update package for that chipset
> from LSI Logic and use it to install boot FCode onto my board?

I'm pretty sure the 53C895 doesn't -need- FCode unless you're putting it
in a Macintosh.  Suns seem to grok Symbios/LSI chips of that vintage
without any additional prodding.  I've used an '895 card from an RS/6000
(which I pulled from a PReP box) in a Sun without problems and likewise
used a card pulled from a PC in a Sun.

I'd only try it if the box doesn't see the card right off.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"