[geeks] Apple and AMD (edited for stupidity)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 26 16:24:16 CDT 2006

I joined a pair of edits in vi, they didn't look right, so I edited
again.

The problem is they were *supposed* to be separate, so little of what I
said was on purpose... or something like that.

Crap, crap, crap...

Anyway, trying again:

There are rumors lately about Dell going with AMD in their next
"season", or sales period, even for their notebooks.

Mentioned in most of the stories about this are the fact that Lenovo and
Apple will be getting almost all of the Merom chips, leaving Dell out in
the cold.

Dell may be switching because the new Opteron and other AMD64 designs
may well keep up with the Merom, AMD still has much better SMP hardware,
and Dell can get as many as they want.

Anyway, the thing I wanted to say before I did the lightning fast,
elegant, and completely incorrect edit in my last email, was that this
should help AMD.  Further, Dell is rumored to think the new low-power
chips from AMD are good, and notebook CPUs from AMD were part of the
deal.

Makes me wonder if Apple might still keep an eyeball on what AMD is
doing, in case Merom underwhelms, or they decide to go big on server
stuff where AMD is doing better.

Of course, I'm still hating to see Apple using x86 at all, but at least
the competitive pressure might force AMD and Intel to keep trying to fix
the worst of the warts.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.