[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Sat Jun 24 16:14:03 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I hear good things from some people about Gigabyte, but don't have any
> experience with them.

I curse Gigabyte every chance I get.  Ditto for MSI.

I'm still sore about those 7 Gigabyte motherboards I've thrown away this
year because the *exact same* cluster of capacitors blew on all of 'em.

> Asus seems to be, in general, decent stuff.  Even their VIA based stuff
> usually just works.

x2 on Asus, Tyan is OK too.

> Unfortunately, there are some setups I'd like to try that Asus doesn't
> have.  They also don't seem interested in producing server class boards,
> unless I am just missing them.  I've been told they do make them, but I
> can't find any such animal where I usually look.

If you want a server-class board you're better off looking at
Supermicro, Tyan, or Intel.

I have one of these and like it A LOT:
http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/SE7210TP1-E/index.htm

--