[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jun 23 15:16:12 CDT 2006

Fri, 23 Jun 2006 @ 12:47 -0400, nate at portents.com said:

> > Windows sucks, but XP loads faster than 2000
>
> You can actually make 2000 boot as quickly as XP.  I discovered this when
> I did my own slipstreamed Win2k install CD, and it does indeed work:

[ snip ]

Neat.

Does this use the different I/O code that XP has?

That's one of the (very few) real changes between 2000 and XP, and it
makes drive throughput a little better.

I use Windows primarily to play games, and it ticks me off how games are
being released XP only, when there is no reason for it.  Everything a
game needs is available in Win2k.

WinXP *IS* about 99% Win2k, having been released just a year later, and
all of the changes could be patched into Win2k.

It's just a way of creating arbitrary reasons to upgrade.

The latest marketing information from Microsoft says that games will be
a lot faster under Windows Vista.

Given that you need a machine with 4-5 times the power of the currently
common machines, I suppose it could end up appearing to be true to the
ignorant masses.

> >From http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html

Thanks.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.