[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 22 20:34:13 CDT 2006

>From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
>Date: Thu Jun 22 18:50:03 CDT 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] value of PIII PC servers

>> I have a DUAL PIII 1 GHz system with some ludicrusly tiny amount of
>> RDRAM installed (128 Meg?).
>
>If you think 128 megs is a "ludicrously tiny" amount of RAM, well, I'll
>cheerfully take it off your hands. :-)

It uses RDRAM DIMMs, and I'm not sure it's worth upgrading to run a more modern O/S on it. By modern, I mean mainstream, with eyecandy GUI and such... It isn't even enough to boot/install UBUNTU LAMP server, which is a console-only, minimal LAMP stack machine...

>Seriously, if you think 128 megs is tiny you must run mega-bloatware.

Doesn't "shrinkwrap = bloatware"? ;^)

>I have a laptop that until recently had 16 megs, and provided I didn't
>start the live-backup stuff it was perfectly usable.  (It now has 40
>megs, and that turns out to be plenty.  With a smaller disk I probably
>could have run the live-backup stuff, even.)

I'm 100% positive it is just as useful today as it was when it was introduced.

Lionel