[geeks] Anyone know of good sources of 5V DIMMs?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 19 21:18:28 CDT 2006

Mon, 19 Jun 2006 @ 19:25 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 nate at portents.com wrote:
>
> > Anyone know how that compares to the oh-so-glorious PS/2 keyboard and
> > mouse ports, which have yet to be purged from current x86 machines?
>
> As far as I know, the PS/2 keyboard protocol is identical (just on a
> smaller form-factor connector) to the AT keyboard protocol introduced
> with the IBM PC/AT announced in 1984.

Wikipedia agrees:

	PS/2 systems introduced a new specification for the keyboard and
	mouse interfaces, which are still in use today and are also called
	"PS/2." The PS/2 keyboard interface was electronically identical to
	the long-established AT interface, but the cable connector was
	changed from the 5-pin DIN connector to the smaller 6-pin mini-DIN
	interface, as was the PS/2 mouse interface.

> However, if you want to go with when the pinout was first used, the
> PS/2 Model 30 was introduced in 1987, so that'd make about 19-22
> years.

It's really too bad that IBM didn't license PS/2 architecture, or at
least MCA, to everyone.  It took the rest of the PC world about 7 hears
or longer to fully catch up to what MCA busses and motherboards could
do.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We have nothing to prove" -- Alan Dawkins]