[geeks] Poweredge 2400, SCSI details

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Fri Jun 16 13:27:52 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Does anyone know if any of the Dell Poweredge 2400 servers had their
> RAID controller built into the motherboard?
>
> I ask because I found some of them for sale which list a Pertec RAID
> controller, but there isn't one in any of the 64-bit PCI slots.

The RAID controller can be either integrated or in a PCI slot, the
integrated RAID is cheaper so most people go that route.

The intergated SCSI can be turned into PERC SCSI RAID by a "RAID key"
(the RAID functionality is present on all systems, but the key is needed
to enable it) and the appropriate ECC SDRAM (for the RAID controller
cache) in the appropriate slot.  Unfortunately a battery module for the
RAID cache was an extra cost item back then, and most don't have it.

I have a PE2400 here with most of the requisite hardware, so I can take
pictures and show you what to look for.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com