[geeks] Managed Switch pointers...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 16 08:54:59 CDT 2006

>From: Caleb Shay <caleb at webninja.com>
>Date: Fri Jun 16 08:31:23 CDT 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Managed Switch pointers...

>On 6/16/06, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 06:54, Tom Borton wrote:
>> > It seems to be their newer ones; none of the ones I've had problems with
>> > are more than 4 years old.  Up until that point, they were favorites of
>> > mine, too.
>>
>> I have found that anything made by Netgear that has a metal case, is
>> usually OK.  Anything made by Netgear that has a plastic case, is the
>
>This has been my experience as well.  I've got a netgear gigabit
>switch (metal case), hasn't been reset in 2 years, works fine.  I've
>got a pile of netgear stuff with plastic cases that just plain doesn't
>work anymore.  Most of them seemed to overheat.

So, based on the above, it sounds like the switches I was mentioning above stand a good chance of being reasonable purchases. What I was concerned about was that there was some unknown (to me) vendor that sells switches superior to Netgear for about the same money - that appears to not be the case, so I'll take a good look at my needs and see what suits my needs...

Thanks!

Lionel