[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 13 09:59:37 CDT 2006

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: Tue Jun 13 02:32:41 CDT 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] value of PIII PC servers

<snip>

>Sometimes, trying to use these old machines costs more than new ones.
>It depends upon your abiluty to scrounge and what is around.

It is very easy to overlook the cost of RAM/the ability of older platforms to take "current levels" of RAM.

I have a PII notebook with a great screen, dual batteries,and I have nice dockiing stations for it - but the RAMis maxed at 2x 128 Meg (256 Meg total), which is honestly a bit small for "commercial" O/Ses (WinXP, Solaris, Linux - didn't investigate *BSDs) If I could get 512 Meg in it, I would be veryhappy, but as it is, I keep it around as a clean machine for friends/guests to use...

I have a DUAL PIII 1 GHz system with some ludicrusly tiny amount of RDRAM installed (128 Meg?). I am conflicted about the future of the machine...

Lionel