[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 12 20:11:10 CDT 2006

Mon, 12 Jun 2006 @ 16:16 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> With hardware like this, you are really paying for the treatment the
> thing got as it was removed, not the item that was removed. Put
> another way, the machine has no value as a commerical computing
> resource, getting a known-good machine that is not missing any
> components IS worth something. You are paying for the latter, not the
> former.

True, to a point anyway.

If their prices are more than I can afford, then it doesn't really
matter how good a job they do... :/

They seem a bit high to me, but then everything seems high when your
budget is small.

> By asking on this list, you are just inviting comments about older Sun
> rackmount hardware... ;^)

I have a pair of Sun servers too, and they are going to be replaced with
one faster one when I get the PC server up and running.

A PC server usually gives more bang for the buck, and is more flexible
and easier for me to maintain.  That's why I decided to go with that
first.

If I found a great deal on a Sun server tomorrow, I might well change
plans, but that hasn't happened yet.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]