[geeks] Interesting ATI/AMD news

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 31 12:02:06 CDT 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2006/07/31 Mon AM 10:34:16 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Interesting ATI/AMD news

>Sun, 30 Jul 2006 @ 09:33 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:
>
>> Next hurricane, in the U.S. you will probably not have and medium or
>> long range communications down south as the buzz-buzz-buzz of Google
>> funded BPL will wipe it out......
>
>How do you figure that?

I suspect that the vast majority of our medium and long-range communications in th eUS are carried by either microwave towers or fiber optic cables, and I'd find it hard to believe that "noise" on the (relatively) low voltage power distribution grid will impact either.

Of course, the lack of power may cause far bigger problems...

Hey, wait - I bet I could modify consumer power generators to emit some form of "spark gap" type data transmissions, allowing data to be carried from generator-powerd island to generator-powered island in a "native american" smoke-signal manner...

Of course, bandwidth would be minimal - maybe in the tens of bits per second...