[geeks] Vista on a test PC

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Jul 30 15:25:58 CDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 03:33:43PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Intel Pentium 930 (dual 3.0 GHz CPU cores, each with 2 MB cache)
> Supermicro PDSGE motherboard
> ATI Radeon (ASUS clone) X300 128 Meg RAM PCI-Express video

I'd put at 256M-or-greater card in there, myself.

> Bill, was your problem *massive* slowness (in an SS/5-110 kind of way), or
> in a "nat as snappy as I'd expect, but workable for some" kind of way???

"Workable, but you can tell the OS eyecandy is taking up way too much CPU,
and for someone used to XP, you can REALLY tell that this is a beta"

Vista on my AMD64 machine was about like running OSX 10.4 on a 300Mhz B&W
G3 tower with 384-512M of RAM.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford