[geeks] Interesting ATI/AMD news

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jul 30 08:48:21 CDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 08:25:32AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> The fact that the actual freq. in use (assuming WiFi, not WiMax) is
> just one small part of the puzzle...

One of the problems is that the working range of a WiFi network in a city
is about 100 feet. Beyond that, it becomes less and less reliable.

For example, in London one neighborhood (they have seperate goverments),
Islington put access points on Upper Street every 100 meters (around 300
feet). This means that the longest  distance to each antenna is less than
200 feet. It's 150 feet if you are on the side of the street as the
access point and it does not curve. Upper Street is fairly wide and does
curve.

I'm hoping that WiMax will fulfill it's promised range. If in reality it
can work reliably for one mile, that would make municipal or commercial urban
wireless access reasonable to provide. You even could have one access point
at your home and share a connection, files, etc with your neighbors. Like
what we did when I was a kid with tin cans and string and later walkie-talkies.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838