[geeks] Interesting ATI/AMD news

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 30 08:25:32 CDT 2006

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: 2006/07/30 Sun AM 08:07:46 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Interesting ATI/AMD news

>On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 02:52, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>>  Municipal WiFi networks require licenses in most places,
>> there is the threat that the city will claim to start one and put
>> you out of business (how well I know that), and someone else can
>> do it to.
>
>I am not sure what you mean, but the FCC has jurisdiction over Wifi and
>there is not a way that any other local or state government can legally
>interfere or set up any kind of licensing process.
>
>You may be referring to the issue of "where do we place our antennas"
>which often does require paying a bunch of money to someone to be able
>to use their power poles or street light/traffic light poles.

I think the issues are that:

a) License towers require permits
b) Offering a service to the public requires a license
c) Most likely the desired monopoly would require special permission from government officials (like the cable, telco)

The fact that the actual freq. in use (assuming WiFi, not WiMax) is just one small part of the puzzle...

Lionel