[geeks] Interesting ATI/AMD news

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Jul 29 15:25:51 CDT 2006

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 12:13:56PM -0700, Alex Feinberg wrote:
>     Or does this mean, under AMD's pressure, we are likely to see
> better Linux drivers for ATI?

Obviously I have no idea, but my past experience with AMD was that they
are extremely supportive of developers, both hardware and software.

They are also extremely sensative to the market, and try to provide what
people want instead of telling you what you will get.

By contrast, Intel is good with developers, bad with answering needs.

VIA is run by a relegious nut, and treatshis customers like he's G-Ds
gift to them. They form "strategic aliances" and cut out everyone else,
keep the good drivers to themselves, sometimes offering them to x86
Linux users object code only which only run on obscure versions of the
Kernel that no one has. The same with OSX. They also lie about the
capabilities and other marketing points of their chips.

Transmeta was IMHO "confused" which was why no one actually made anything
with their chips.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838