[geeks] Interesting ATI/AMD news

Alex Feinberg alex at strlen.net
Sat Jul 29 14:13:56 CDT 2006

    Given the incredibly poor (in my view) support that the recent ATI
chips have in Linux (and lack thereof in FreeBSD), especially when
compared to Nvidia, I wonder what this would mean for the FOSS
community.

    Or does this mean, under AMD's pressure, we are likely to see
better Linux drivers for ATI?

    (I've recently dumped a Radeon 9600 for a Geforce 5500 because
of the incredibly poor Linux support for the former, despite the
former likely being a better "bang for the buck"; what particularly
irritated me was how long it took for 64-bit accelerated drivers to
appear from ATI for Linux, compared to Nvidia).

--
- Alex