[geeks] Lightning question

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Jul 24 13:53:58 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 08:35:06PM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> There are two surge supressors for power lines that actually work.
> The cheap one is made by Trip-Lite and sold under the brand ISOBAR.
> The other is from a company called TransTector. They make the "right stuff".
> 	http://www.transtector.com/
> The ones that are IMHO less than worthless use a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor).
> There are versions of the MOV devices that are sold for power lines,
> telephone lines and networks. All are less than worthless because you
> think they are protecting you and they are not.
> Think condoms with pinholes. Condoms with pinholes that explode when they leak.
> TransTector uses silicon diodes, I think ISOBARs use gas discharge tubes,
> but I'm not sure. A combination of both is IMHO best.

I've been looking at these - any opinions?

http://www.brickwall.com/

Surge Protectors That WILL NOT Fail!

    * No Sacrificial or Wear Components,
      No MOV's, NO SURGE PROTECTOR FAILURES
    * No Surge Diversion To Ground
    * Exceptional Powerline Filtering
    * Fastest Surge Protector Response Time
    * Lowest Surge Protector Clamping Level
    * Lowest Surge Protector Let-Through Voltage

Expensive, though.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford