[geeks] Lightning question

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jul 24 12:35:06 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 01:19:22PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Anyone know what kinds of precautions you can take to help reduce these
> types of effects?

There are two surge supressors for power lines that actually work.

The cheap one is made by Trip-Lite and sold under the brand ISOBAR.

The other is from a company called TransTector. They make the "right stuff".

	http://www.transtector.com/

The ones that are IMHO less than worthless use a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor).
There are versions of the MOV devices that are sold for power lines,
telephone lines and networks. All are less than worthless because you
think they are protecting you and they are not.

Think condoms with pinholes. Condoms with pinholes that explode when they leak.

TransTector uses silicon diodes, I think ISOBARs use gas discharge tubes,
but I'm not sure. A combination of both is IMHO best.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838