[geeks] 720 Megapixel photo

Tue Jul 18 01:13:20 CDT 2006

> It's also interesting how many people believe we can respond to
> sensory input at levels below what we can actually detect.

And if you s/actually detect/consciously detect in isolation/, it's
true.  (Consider all the tachistoscope experiments.)  I suspect that's
what most of the people making such claims actually mean.

> My original point was that a picture with higher resolution than the
> eye is not worth the extra pixels.

Well, yes, FSVO "resolution".  But the effective resolution of the eye
is significantly better than what the density of receptors in the
retina and the optical scaling factors appear to imply; the human
visual system works with saccades to reconstruct a perception - at
least for still pictures - that's significantly better than that.  (The
factor I remember is about a factor of 10 better, but that memory is
rather fuzzy.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca