[geeks] 720 Megapixel photo

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Jul 18 00:07:26 CDT 2006

> The brain is a funny thing--you may unconsciously notice things that
> you can't detect directly by viewing/listening.

I hope you're not talking about subliminal..

> > > It's like sound systems that can produce over 20KHz: you can't directly
> > > hear it, but you do hear the effects of it.
> >
> > I could understand beat notes between those frequencies since there is
> > some non-linearity in the human system.
>
> For instance, inaudible frequencies can increase/decrease certain
> types of brainwaves in humans.  This is how "sleep" audio or
> "meditation" audio tracks assist you in getting different brainwave
> patterns going.

Inaudible as in outside of the "normal" frequency range or volume?

> > I was speaking more of resolution rather than discernible shades.  Of
> > course we don't really see yellow on a monitor since it is not capable
> > of producing that color.  We get fooled by a red-green combo that
> > stimulates the retina the same way yellow does (makes reproducing
> > colors easier).
>
> Well...not to be pedantic (ok, a little ;-), but "yellow" pigment is
> not "yellow" either.  It simply reflects the yellow area of the
> spectrum so that's what we perceive.  If you have seen the "spectrum"
> shift photos/video that show how bees and other insects see, you'll
> get where I'm going here.  There's a lot of light flying around out
> there.  Our brains are quite good at sorting things out without
> conscious interference from us...and a good thing too or we'd spend
> all our time thinking about breathing.

That part of the spectrum we labeled as "yellow".  I agree that our
brains can sort out a lot of stuff automatically but they are very good
at creating things that are not there either. It's also interesting
how many people believe we can respond to sensory input at levels below
what we can actually detect. My original point was that a picture with
higher resolution than the eye is not worth the extra pixels.  (I
believe the eye is at a level of 2 arc minutes per resolved line pair
in the general literature.)

Bob