[geeks] Solaris 10 install size

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 17 10:27:14 CDT 2006

Sun, 16 Jul 2006 @ 00:40 -0400, Nadine said:

> Keep in mind, though, that Blastwave doesn't build specifically for
> Solaris 10, the way they segregate things out on Sunfreeware.

Ouch, that sucks.

I just find that Sunfreeware is often very outdated, to the point where
I have to build it myself anyway.

> If you have packages that you have to update and build regularly at
> your site and are able to use NFS, you might consider just having a
> binary hosting server and a separate build set up.  The software guys
> on a system that I volunteer admin'd on spoke quite highly of depot.

Have to take a look... one of these days.

> Building and maintaining custom packages for Solaris is a complete
> pain, as far as I am concerned.  I've done it with web page how-tos in
> front of me the whole way, but try to avoid it as much as possible.
> You really have to have a dev box that is your "standard" image to
> build them the right way.

I agree.  That's one reason I'm running FreeBSD on my Sun instead.
Solaris is an absolute PITA to do things on a lot of times.

Not only that, but then you have the whole Sun versus GNU C
library and C++ differences to deal with.  Ick.

Meanwhile, it is pretty easy to maintain packages on most any BSD or
Linux distribution.

Even Slackware, which is mostly manual, is pretty easy.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.