[geeks] Solaris 10 install size

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 23:40:59 CDT 2006

On 7/14/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> I haven't looked deep enough yet to see if they cover the information I
> was talking about with regard to building and maintaining packages, so I
> don't know if that site serves that purpose or not.  I spent most of the
> time looking through the packages to see what all was there, and read
> through some of the related information a bit.

Keep in mind, though, that Blastwave doesn't build specifically for
Solaris 10, the way they segregate things out on Sunfreeware.

If you have packages that you have to update and build regularly at
your site and are able to use NFS, you might consider just having a
binary hosting server and a separate build set up.  The software guys
on a system that I volunteer admin'd on spoke quite highly of depot.

Building and maintaining custom packages for Solaris is a complete
pain, as far as I am concerned.  I've done it with web page how-tos in
front of me the whole way, but try to avoid it as much as possible.
You really have to have a dev box that is your "standard" image to
build them the right way.

=Nadine=