[geeks] Solaris 10 install size

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 13 13:37:45 CDT 2006

Thu, 13 Jul 2006 @ 08:59 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> >From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> >Date: 2006/07/11 Tue AM 12:45:59 CDT
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] Solaris 10 install size
>
> <snip>
> >Some things Solaris/Sun needs:
> >
> >	- something like the FreeBSD Handbook, or the Slackware Linux book
> >	- something for people who know UNIX and/or know Solaris already
> >	- good books that don't start out with newbie tutorial crap
> >	- a "UNIX Power Tools" type book, except for Solaris
>
> <snip>
>
> I'd love to see a "Solaris Hacks" book from O'Reilly...
>
> How to build a firewall
> How to serve up SAMBA files
> How to set up a SAMP server (Solaris, Apache, MySQL, and [perl|PHP|python])
> How to watch a DVD under Solaris
> How to install Solaris on an unsupported laptop
> Etc...

The "UNIX Administration Handbook" is kind of like that, but not
completely, and not updated for newer OS yet.

But yeah, your list is more along the lines of what I would like to see.

I have used Solaris off and on for over ten years, so I don't need to
revisit the basics.

A "cookbook" or hacks type thing combined with a reference would
probably be all that I need.

It would also be nice to have a place where all the gotchas and
solutions for building, updating, and maintaining software on Solaris
was kept.  I personally find it harder to do that on Solaris than
something like FreeBSD, so it seems a good topic for a book or
even a website.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any