[geeks] Solaris 10 install size

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:32:52 CDT 2006

On 7/13/06, velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/13/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > >Some things Solaris/Sun needs:
> > >
> > >       - something like the FreeBSD Handbook, or the Slackware Linux book
> > >       - something for people who know UNIX and/or know Solaris already
> > >       - good books that don't start out with newbie tutorial crap
> > >       - a "UNIX Power Tools" type book, except for Solaris
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > I'd love to see a "Solaris Hacks" book from O'Reilly...
> >
> > How to build a firewall
> > How to serve up SAMBA files
> > How to set up a SAMP server (Solaris, Apache, MySQL, and [perl|PHP|python])
> > How to watch a DVD under Solaris
> > How to install Solaris on an unsupported laptop
> > Etc...
>
> Myself and another list member were conversing in email about writing
> a hardening guide for Sol 10 for DMZ use, with perhaps some high-level
> break-down of "what else" would be needed for at least 1 and 3 on that
> list, and probably DNS servers and perhaps "app" servers (Tomcat) as
> well.
> Last I checked, you could find guides for hardening Sol <=9, but not 10.

Last year, alex noordergraf (sp) posted something to one security list
I'm subscribed to and mentionned some updates for sol 10. Not sure if
he was talking about a new version of his old (2001) blueprint.

I know JASS has been fully supporting sol 10 since last august:

http://www.sun.com/software/security/jass/

But that's just a starting point.

BTW, for Lionel, watching a DVD under Solaris is basically:
pkg-get -i goggles (from blastwave)
plus a wget for libdvdcss + pkgadd

Ciao,
Francois