[geeks] Wireless Routers

Janet Campbell janet at foonly.com
Thu Jul 6 17:16:24 CDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

> But why should my switch, VCR, alarm clock, other switch, wireless
> router (whether actually routing or not), usb hub, external drive
> enclosures, etc etc, all need external power packs?

In a nutshell, because it's cheaper for the manufacturer and simpler, from
a regulatory point of view.

Seriously.  When a power supply is built into a device, the whole device
has to go through an electrical safety approval process, probably an FCC
approval (if it's a switching p/s), and needs to meet certain
flameproofing requirements, at a minimum.

When a manufacturer buys a power brick, all that legwork has already been
done - and if a given 'brick' is used for more than just one application,
it's a win for both the brick manufacturers and the actual device
manufacturers.

-Janet