[geeks] Wireless Routers

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 16:21:25 CDT 2006

On 7/6/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
> >
> >Possibly.  I can't imagine that it's wholly unheard-of for neighbors to
> >want to pool resources over wireless, though.  I have a tape robot and a
> >high-speed laser printer, he has a better color printer and a network
> >scanner, etc.
>
> Sounds like a neat neighborhood - I can just see it now, "Could I borrow a
> Gigabyte of PC2-4200 RAM?" ;^)

I was trying to convince a friend of mine in Texas to do something
like this, as his neighbor is close enough to the CO to get DSL at
business speeds, but he is not.  He claims that there are too many
trees in the way.  I think he's too lazy to put up a mast for a
cantenna, and would rather whine about his crappy speeds.  I've heard
his stories about his endeavors to move his DVDs to his media computer
and his network closet set up, so it sounds like more of a case of
avoiding physical labor out in the summer heat.

I myself have wondered if it would work out cheaper for the folks in
our townhouse complex to "group buy" a Verizon FIOS connection at the
max speed and split it out to the houses over wireless.  It would take
some work to orient antennas to cover the whole circle as there are
tall trees in the middle, but other than that seems pretty
straightforward (aside from the getting people to agree part).

> But on the other hand, it does avoid all those "WWWIIIRRREEESSS!" [0]

I wish there was a reasonable no wires solution to the horror that is
A/C adaptors.  Phone, PDA, iPod, bluetooth headset, camera, etcetera,
etcetera.  I know about the magnetic induction chargers, but if my
electric toothbrush is any indication, the heat generated negatively
impacts battery life.

=Nadine=