[geeks] Wireless Routers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 6 15:31:15 CDT 2006

Thu, 06 Jul 2006 @ 12:01 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> If I want a small (or not-so-small) piece of hardware running a
> general-purpose OS so that I can just use a small fraction of its IP
> stack, I know where to find that.  I was hoping for something a little
> more elegant, given that there seem to be quite a few "wireless routers"
> on the market.  But, I guess I can take a dump in a box and sell it in
> the electronics stores as "corn flakes", if these toys can get called
> "routers".

The problem is that what you want exists, but not in the stores where
you shop.

I've talked to the local CompUSA manager, and he said he doesn't carry
the true routers, because they would confuse his customers.

I pointed out that calling a NAT box a router was pretty confusing, and
he just shrugged and said normal people didn't understand the difference
so it was no use marketing to them.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.