[geeks] Splitting Up Image Files?

Sun Jan 22 23:53:43 CST 2006

> I'm looking for a way to split up image files into equally-sized
> portions.

Something wrong with pnmcut?

If you don't like running many pnmcuts over the same image, I wrote a
program, pnmmcut, which does multiple pnmcuts in parallel, reading the
input image only once.  (ftp.rodents.montreal.qc.ca:/mouseware/
contains this among other programs; in particular, look at the README
as a starting point.)

> Specifically, I have panoramas (wide but short) and no large-format
> printer.  I'd like to tell a program divide this image into however
> many 4x6 or 8x11 segments it takes then print on a photo printer or
> regular printer.

Mm, I'd have to wrap pnmcut (or pnmmcut) in a little scripting to do
that all at once (as opposed to doing a little of it manually and then
setting it cranking).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca