[geeks] Two interesting desktop choices - value of hardware

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 18 11:12:11 CST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
To: "The Geeks List" <geeks at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: [geeks] Two interesting desktop choices - value of hardware

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:11:17AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> $500 for a Mac G4 933 MHz, 60 Gig HD, 512 Meg RAM, DVD-R (Superdrive),
>> on-board SCSI
>> http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=COM10687
>

> You should look at the Mini. It's faster and you can get it with a bigger
> hard drive, a superdrive and it includes a better video card, a warranty,
> a legal copy of Tiger and iLife but no scsi. It does have USB 2.0 and
> firewire.

Agreed, what I thought was nice was that this model supports IDE and SCSI
(as I understand it), and has a bit more "room to grow" compared to a Mini
(multiple HDs, add-in cards, etc.).

(to me the price points were only "interesting" - as Intel Macs rollout, the
value of this machine will certainly drop a bit more...)

Lionel