[geeks] "Lord SJobs... ARISE" ... Apple has moved to the Dark Side

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Thu Jan 12 21:44:31 CST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 20:14, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> You see, they need the motherboard manufacturers to support EFI... oh,
> but will they do it without Windows support?  And why should Windows on
> x86 or x86-64 support EFI if no motherboards do?  Chicken and the egg.

According to the EFI PDF I looked at (linked earlier by someone), EFI support will be coming in Windows Vista.

EFI has a small bytecoded interpreter that replaces the BIOS functions.  Option ROMs on say, a SCSI card, will be replaced by smallish programs run in the same bytecoded interpreter.

Skills in assembler will not be required (IIRC something vaguely C-ish will be used instead); and the bytecoded interpreter can be run on your desktop, so debugging is supposed to be easier.

--Patrick