[geeks] any Camera geeks?

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Jan 10 09:33:10 CST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 03:29, William Staniewicz wrote:
> I had done a lot of camera stuff in high school when I was a kid.
> Also did some commercial work with another photographer. For several years I
> had stopped
> doing anything with cameras and just started back again mostly
> for P&S photos with my Sony P200 7 megapixel.

I have heard good things about the Sony's that have Zeiss lenses on them.

> I have many old B&W negatives I would like to scan in.
> What are you using for a film scanner?

Right now I am looking at the alternatives.  If I just had 35mm, I would get one of the cheaper film scanners.  However, since I will be using larger negatives, I am looking at the Epson scanners, trying to decide whether to get the cheaper $150 one or the more expensive but better Epson 4990 .

I have a Dell A940 sitting around that claims to do 2400dpi, so am using that to educate myself on the process in the meantime.  I have found it difficult to get good results when scanning color negative film because of the strong color cast from the orange mask - a black dog in my test negative ends up looking like a Jimi Hendrix inspired poster, because the dog looks like a psychedelic deep blue dog instead of a black one.

--Patrick