[geeks] any Camera geeks?

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon Jan 9 23:57:27 CST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 20:28, James Fogg wrote:

> I still have a bunch of Konica SLR's and lenses (nice Nikon competitor),

I had a Konica setup and it was quite nice.  The build quality was superb, and actually at the time, Konica had better lenses than Nikon.

> but haven't done much in years. I collect a few old cameras and have a
> few Graflex Speeds/Crowns in various conditions. I'm always on the
> lookout for flash bulbs and I'd like to kill every retard space-dork
> that rapes a Graflex flash gun to make a "light saber".

I used some for a while, they give a very intense light, but the fact that they are not rechargeable is kind of a pain. Amazing how much light can come out of a tiny bulb.

> I'm getting excited about how useful digital photography has become for
> semi-pro work. Digital SLR cameras like the Canon Digital Rebel and the
> Nikon models in the $1K range have me wanting to do something again. I'm
> seeing fantastic output on inexpensive inkjet printers. Now that I'm
> working again I might save enough money to get a D-SLR.

There are 3rd-party suppliers of high-grade ink that is designed for inkjet black and white - some that are basically pure carbon and thus will theoretically last for as long as the paper does.  I would not be surprised to see B+W make a bit of a comeback as a result.

The problem as I see it, is that except for the $3000 and $8000 Canon full-frame-sized sensor bodies, everything else has to deal with a large depth of field because the small sensor size means smaller focal lengths.

I had been prowling around for a used Kodak 14n (full size sensor) as an alternative but they weigh something like 8 lbs loaded and are larger than some medium format cameras, plus have been discontinued.

--Patrick