[geeks] ibook g3 to ibook g4

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jan 8 15:09:19 CST 2006

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Dan Duncan wrote:

>  Can I use the airport card from the G3 in the ibook G4

No.

> or do I have to go with airport extreme?

Yes.

> How about the ram?

The specifications sheets at Apple's web site say no.  The G4 uses DDR
memory, while the G3 uses PC100 SDRAM.

> What's the best way to move her emails, address book, etc, across?

Create a new account on the G4 with the same uid as on the G3, connect
the two systems via crossover cable, log in as an administrator (not the
same account--you do create separate admin accounts, right?) on the G4,
mount her home directory across the network, and copy the entire
contents of it (preferably from the command-line, using ditto) to her
new home directory.  Then chown everything back into place.  If you
-just- want preferences and address books and such, just copy the
Library directory, rather than her whole home directory.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Buy the best there is, because it's sorry enough."
Elgin, TX         (                                      --Henry Zuehlke