[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 28 10:42:35 CST 2006

>From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
>Date: Mon Feb 27 16:19:42 CST 2006
>To: Geeks <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

<snip>

>[0] Which, you know, I rather agree with.  I have a relatively simple
>     Word document that refuses to lay-out correctly in OpenOffice 2.0
>     thanks to it not shipping with fonts whose metrics are identical to
>     the standard Windows/Office fonts.

IMHO, it is these "minor" annoyances that pop-up at the worst times that sting people that want to migrate open source solutions...

At work, I am expected to build a desktop system out of odd bits in the store room - I'm workng with one ASUS Barebones system as my desktop now, but the keyboard interface went down. WTF? Anyway, I've got one of my opersonal machines there running (now) Mandriva, and it is nice, but when I needed a serial connection to provision a small SO/HO router I was challenged - cu wasn't there, tip wasn't there, and the folks that put together the distribution didn't seem too concenred with documenting that kind of exercise...

The way I found out my keyboard interface died was when I point/clicked to hyperterminal, and it wouldn't start up without an area code (so it knows how to dial the modem), but with no functioning keyboard, I couldn't enter one...

Argh.

Lionel