[geeks] timesheet and invoicing software

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 25 15:46:58 CST 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: Thu Feb 23 15:14:41 CST 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] timesheet and invoicing software

>I'm not planning on anything big... a bare bones invoicer is all I
>really need.

Kinda like every other "Unix Consultant" I know ;^)

>I was just hoping to be lazy and find one already written.
>
>Everything I found that didn't suck was for Windows.

I think the "problem" is that everyone probably just broke down and strung one together from various bits accumulated over time...

Once, I tried to sell a source code manager (pretty nice, not "anything big", fairly "bare-bones"), but everywhere I went, most shops already had something "good enough" that one of the guys had "whipped up" and mathed their particular needs exactly. It was *impossible* to sell into this market.

The other stumbling block we had was that each developer needed a *large" local drive (a whole Gig!) to store their own working copy of the project... Oh,a nd the software was too cheap! (Our main competitor was Atria ClearCase, and even though many (many!) shops complained of lost source code and it cost about 10x what our sold for...

Lionel