[geeks] I need an HTML to PDF converter

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Feb 22 10:03:01 CST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 03:32:54PM -0800, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 writes ...
>>
>> There is a for-pay, and a free version (FOSS) of HTMLDOC:
>>
>> http://www.htmldoc.org/
>
> A possibility ... but no style sheets.  I'll have a look, though.
>
>> There is also html2ps , which you would then pipe through
>> ps2pdf or some other PS -->PDF converter:
>>
>> http://user.it.uu.se/~jan/html2ps.html
>
> Mike Parsons also suggested that one ... I'll investigate it.

No 's' at the end of my name, </nitpick> =)

> Has anyone "here" ever actually used this in the way I'd be using it ...
>
> 	HTML_file ->html2ps ->ps2pdf ->PDF_file
>
> ... and, if so, are there any comments on the quality of the output?

I've only used it for rather simple HTML (stuff I can do w/o referring
to notes, mostly HTML 1.1 level stuff), and I don't think I ever tried
doing anything that came out to more than a single page.

If you don't want to go through the headache of installing it and
finding that it doesn't work, I'd be more than happy to run a test doc
of your specification through it and giving you the output.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org