[geeks] Sun Fire V210: A New Low in SPARC Servers?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Feb 15 14:01:59 CST 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Scott Howard wrote:

>> At least, that's how it's supposed to work.  On all the machines I've
>> tried so far, running "setupsc" followed by "resetsc" has resulted in a
>> fully dead ALOM that hangs while loading itself from flash.  Sun came
>
> Wow..  I've set up dozens (over a hundred I'd say) of systems with
> ALOMs, and I've never see that happen.

Well, the trouble came back, exactly as before, on all the machines Sun
serviced.

   sc> setupsc
   <lots of questions, almost all of which I answered "y" to, including
    bringing up the ethernet interface and using dhcp and configuring
    mail alerts>
   sc> resetsc -y

And then it gets as far as "loading runtime image" and locks hard.

I've tried it with the host system down, with the host system up, with
the network unplugged, with the network plugged in, and now I have a
quarter-rack of dead systems.

At this point, I wouldn't take a -free- system if the only way to get
into it was through ALOM.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "Pain and misery always hit the spot,
Elgin, TX           (     knowing you can't lose what you haven't got."