[geeks] Sun Fire V210: A New Low in SPARC Servers?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Feb 7 13:58:19 CST 2006

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Scott Howard wrote:

>> I'll swing dhcpd to point back to my Solaris JumpStart server to see
>> if it's a configuration screw-up or Yet Another Linux NFS Bug(tm).
>
> ping it.
>
> As silly as it sounds, when it gets to the point that it hangs, wait a
> few seconds and then ping the Solaris box from the Linux box.

I switched back to using a Solaris box as the NFS root server, and now
things Just Work.  Pinging each JS client from the NFS cluster would be
a pain, since I'll roll out nearly 100 installs from this JumpStart
setup over the course of the next month.

> During the Jumpstart process Solaris send an ICMP packet to discover
> the correct netmask, which Linux drops and never replies to.  If you
> ping the Solaris box it gets the ICMP echo request (ie, the ping) and
> seems happy with that as the answer to the earlier request and just
> carries on happily.

Interesting that it cannot obtain this information from DHCP.  I guess
this behavior either happens earlier in the boot process or is a
holdover from booting RARP/RPC.

In any case, thanks!

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"