[geeks] OT: Pointers for buying System Components (high-end PC server)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 8 07:16:46 CST 2006

>From: Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com>
>Date: Wed Feb 08 02:41:59 CST 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] OT: Pointers for buying System Components (high-end PC server)

>On 06/02/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> New $ork has me out looking to source high-end server cabinets and misc.
>components (at wholesale) and I'm wondering if folks here on the list have any
>pointers/vendor suggestions.
>>
>> My main challenge is to source a 16 drive SATA hot-swap case with room for a
>DVD burner and two internal IDE OS drives. The cabinet I am replacing was an 8
>drive server case from supermicro that ran about $600-700 itself.
>>

>Have a look at these guys...
>
>http://store.xinit.com/ecommerce/control/category/~category_id=Storage/~pcate
>gory=Hardware
>
>I've never dealt with them personally but their hardware looks
>interesting. They have a couple of developers working on the OpenFiler
>project and on CentOS I believe.

Thanks, but their offerings appear to be limited to fully configured systems, we need parts to assemble ourselves.

I was quite impressed with the cases at aicipc.com that was suggested earlier - with our anticipated production volume, we qualify to purchase direct from the Mfg., all I am waiting for now is a quote from the vendor on pricing in dozen-case lots...

Thanks all for your help, it is appreciated!

Lionel