[geeks] A new Assualt on Net Freedom

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 24 11:35:56 CDT 2006

Sun, 23 Apr 2006 @ 22:54 -0400, der Mouse said:

> > As I read it, "we can block anyone we want and there is nothing you
> > can do about it".
>
> And this differs from other places...how, exactly?
>
> As far as I can see, the only difference is that they are telling you
> so.  Most places just don't bother to mention it.
>
> Seriously.
>
> If you think this is new, you're wrong.
>
> If you think this is bad, well, that's a value judgement, so I can't
> call it wrong as a question of fact, but I think it's wrong; an ISP is
> under no obligation to non-customers, particularly not about a matter
> as central as what traffic to accept.

An ISP is under the same obligations as anyone else who joins the net:
you will be a good net citizen.

Blocking traffic is a violation of that.

The only reason the net has worked so well for so long is because people
were NOT doing stupid things like this.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We are all of us in the gutter, some of us
looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde]