[geeks] Printers, postscript, networking...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 22 21:37:54 CDT 2006

Sat, 22 Apr 2006 @ 02:23 -0400, Dave Fischer said:

> >If anything, it should improve over time.
>
> Unless they decided to save money by not liscencing Adobe's PS firmware
> and screwed up something with the alternative...

You mean HP used to have true PostScript? That would explain a degradation in
quality and speed.

Of course, I read today that HP PostScript is an emulation that sits on top of
PCL, so no licensing should be involved.

Maybe they used to have real PostScript and changed to emulation. Might not be
HP's fault, because Adobe is notoriously hard to deal with.

Also, I can see why the emulation would not be as good, but it still should
slowly improve, just like GhostScript has.

Then again, HP has not been itself in recent years.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." --
Unknown]