[geeks] Printers, postscript, networking...

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Sat Apr 22 12:05:39 CDT 2006

> Unless they decided to save money by not liscencing Adobe's PS firmware
> and screwed up something with the alternative...

I think that's it - if you look at the specs for the 1320, it says "HP
postscript Level 2 emulation".  If they actually licensed it (like they
used to), it wouldn't say emulation.

And that, I think, is the big problem.  At $work we have a Minolta color
laser which I eventually changed the print driver from it's postscript
emulation to just PCL 5e, because the postscript emulation would just barf
all over certain documents, or some documents would just essentially hang
the printer (at least documents coming from Windows PCs printing from
Adobe Acrobat or Photoshop).

It really does make a 4M and such look good, because at least that has
real postscript.

- Nate