[geeks] ps, top, etc.

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 18 22:44:53 CDT 2006

Tue, 18 Apr 2006 @ 22:22 +0200, Michael-John Turner said:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:16:55AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > That indicates that the idea came from V8 but that it only had implemented a
> > part of the whole idea, and that it was Plan 9 where /proc was implemented as
> > we know it today.
>
> Yep, I think we can agree on that (and thanks for the info, BTW). V8 was
> the first to implement the idea of processes being visible as a filesystem,
> but the modern procfs in Solaris, *BSD, et al definitely owes more to Plan
> 9 and the later procfs of SVR4 than to V8.

AT&T UNIXen sometimes violated "The UNIX Way" when adding features.

Plan 9 has not done that as far as I can see, and is more UNIX and UNIX with
regard to putting all system objects in the filesystem namespace, and also
making sure the abstraction leaks as little as possible.

I really wish it had more support, and also supported more hardware.
It's a very interesting system.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["It's a damn poor mind that can only think
of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson]